Summary of Position
Lead teachers have the responsibility of providing a developmentally appropriate program that supports the children’s social, emotional, cognitive, and physical development in a safe and nurturing environment that is arranged according to each child’s age and stages of development.
- Follow all required documentation through ongoing assessment, observing, documenting, and reflecting on each child’s progress knowing where the child is on his learning.
- Prepare lesson plans according to the individual needs and group needs, utilizing Creative Curriculum and Ohio Early Learning Standards.
- Lesson plans are submitted on a weekly basis for director approval.
- Responsible for keeping up with all required training in his/her area of expertise as required by ODJFS and Step Up To Quality.
- Ensure that the children are following a daily routine.
- Be able to mentor new teachers or assistant teachers.
- Conduct himself/herself professionally and be able to make ethical decisions affecting assistant teachers, children, and families.
- Able to conduct parent/teacher conferences to address issues with families keeping in mind the nature of the job.
- Follow Early Beginnings Standards and be able to explain them to assistant teachers, if needed, as well as to the parent.
- Use caregiving routines such as those related to diapering, toileting, feeding, eating, sleeping, hand washing, and transitions throughout the day as a “teachable moment” between the teacher and children.
- Supervise and interact with the children at all times.
- Nurture the children and attend to their emotional needs within a timely manner.
- Respecting and maintaining confidentiality about the children and the families we serve.